Modern Slavery is happening all over the UK in plain sight.
Labour exploitation is one the most common forms of Modern Slavery in the UK. The victims are forced to work directly for offenders’ in businesses and sites that they own or control. The main method of exploitation is not to paying or illegally underpaying.
It’s so important that you can spot the signs & report anything suspicious to the Modern Slavery Helpline 08000 121 700.
Here are just a few signs that you should look out for:
- Signs of psychological or physical abuse
- Appearing frightened, withdrawn or confused
- They appear to not be free to move and/or are always accompanied
- They’re transported to and from work, perhaps with a number of people in one vehicle
- Lack protective equipment, suitable clothing or training to safely do their job
- Lack access to their own documents, such as ID or passport; an employer may have confiscated them
- They do not have a contract, are paid less than the National Minimum Wage, or not paid at all
- Forced to stay in accommodation provided by their employer; this may be overcrowded
- Afraid to accept money or payment
- Their legitimate wages may be taken by an exploiter who is outside of the business or work place
- Working unusually long hours
We offer Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking training courses that provide attendees with a thorough understanding of the issues; raising their awareness and equipping them with the skills and processes to respond to Modern Slavery. Call 01925 377 878 to book your modern slavery course today.
Check out our Spot the signs for County Lines article here.